About our private patients units
You’ll receive high quality care on our units in clean and comfortable accommodation. You’ll have your own private ensuite room and access to wifi, a television, a healthy food and drink menu and daily newspapers.
Chichester Suite, St Richard’s Hospital
The Chichester Suite opened in 1996 and has 16 large private ensuite rooms and two fully equipped consulting rooms for private outpatients.
Paediatric care for private patients is carried out in the hospital’s West Block where we have the facilities to take the best care of our young patients.
Downlands Suite, Worthing Hospital
The Downlands Suite opened in 2001 and has five large private ensuite rooms, three of which have a view of the South Downs while the other two have views of Worthing town centre and the sea.
Our anaesthetic consultants take account of your needs to keep you safe and give you a problem free recovery from anaesthesia. They work closely with our surgeons and other teams on colorectal, musculoskeletal, and gynaecological procedures.
Patients who are elderly, frail or have underlying medical conditions may be asked to attend a pre-anaesthetic review clinic. At the clinic the anaesthetist can talk about the risks of general anaesthetic with you.
Our private bariatric surgery consultants are part of the UK’s leading weight loss surgery and metabolic surgery specialist team, Streamline Surgical. They have more than 15 years combined experience in bariatric surgery.
Bariatric services available at St Richard’s Hospital to help obese patients lose weight include:
- gastric band surgery to reduce the available space in the stomach
- sleeve gastrectomy to remove a portion of the stomach
- gastric bypass surgery to reroute the small intestine.
The bariatric centre opened in 2006 and patients travel from all over the country for the specialist care of the hospital’s skilled staff.
The hospital’s dedicated unit is staffed by nurses who provide specialist care for obese patients.
Patients also have the reassurance of our intensive care and high dependency units for specialised care for after the operation.
Our cardiologists have been involved in many practice-changing trials and have a strong commitment to research.
We offer cardiology treatments and services for arrhythmia (irregular heart beat), general cardiology, heart failure, ischaemic heart disease and more.
Our non-invasive cardiology investigations include:
- ambulatory ECG monitoring
- coronary angiography
- echocardiography (transthoracic and transoesophageal)
- exercise treadmill testing
- HeartFlow technology
- cardiac MRI
- 320-slice coronary CT
Available procedures include:
- complex pacing
- reveal implants
- angioplasty with stent insertion
- rotoblation of coronary vessels
- pressure wire studies
- intravascular ultrasound
- percutaneous coronary technology (PCI)
Dermatology is a medical speciality concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of inflammatory, inherited, environmental, benign, or malignant skin disorders, conditions and concerns.
Our services support:
- Curettage of skin lesions
- Diagnostic biopsy
- Inflammatory skin disease
- Minor surgery
- Mole assessment and removal
- Patch Tests
- Skin cancer detection
- Skin tag and wart removal
Ear, nose and throat (ENT)
ENT is the medical and surgical management and treatment of patients with diseases and disorders of the ear, nose, throat (ENT) and related structures of the head and neck.
- Otology: ear disorders including hearing loss, discharge, tinnitus, balance and facial palsy
- Rhinology: nose and sinus disorders including nasal blockage, allergy and facial pain
- Laryngology: throat disorders including voice and swallowing problem and neck lumps
- Tonsillectomy – one of the most common ailments that we see in children and young patients, which involves removal of the tonsils.
- Adenoidectomy – removal of the adenoids which may be causing a problem if they frequently become infected or inflamed.
- Ear surgery – an overarching treatment which includes the insertion of a tube to drain an infection, tympanoplasty surgery which sees the eardrum reconstructed, and stapedectomy which sees the bone in the middle ear removed.
General and specialist surgery
We offer private surgical services and treatments for both planned and emergency procedures.
Most of our surgeons have a specialist interest area and so we offer specialist assessment, investigation and surgery for:
- breast, including surgery to treat breast cancers
- colorectal – diseases of the colon, rectum and anal canal, including surgery to treat cancers.
- upper gastrointestinal – diseases affecting the liver, oesophagus and stomach including obesity surgery (see our bariatric treatment options).
Wherever possible our surgeons operate using minimally invasive techniques that mean less pain, better outcomes and shorter recovery time.
Maxillofacial surgery / treatment (MFU)
Day case surgical facilities are available for the surgical management of those conditions that can be done under local anaesthesia, sedation, or a short general anaesthesia such as wisdom teeth, impacted canines, jaw cysts and soft tissue surgery.
- Removal of Wisdom Teeth
- Removal of other impacted teeth or complex extractions
- Apicectomy and apical surgery
- Surgical treatment for labial frenum – frenectomy
- Skin Cancer, benign and malignant conditions affecting the skin. Both surgical and non surgical including complex reconstructions with local tissue flaps and skin grafts.
- Lip vascular lesions.
- Diagnosis, biopsy and management of oral lumps and bumps and medical conditions affecting the mouth.
- Diagnosis and management of jaw pain and facial pain.
- Management of trauma to face, jaws, orbits, mouth, nose & teeth.
- Diagnosis of potential oral cancers.
- Management of salivary gland problems and salivary gland stones.
We have a full range of up-to-date diagnostic equipment including CT scanners, MRI scanners, ultrasound, digital imaging nuclear imaging, perfusion scanning and specialist scanners.
CT scanners can help us diagnose heart disease and strokes within minutes.
Our state-of-the-art 320-slice CT scanner is considered to be the most accurate, fastest and safest CT scanner available. It can image the entire heart in less than a heartbeat, providing safe and accurate imaging of patients with heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat).
MRI scans use a combination of magnets and radiowaves to capture detailed images from inside your body. These images can be used to diagnose all kinds of problems, from the causes of joint pain to identifying tumours.
Interventional radiology suite
Interventional radiologists use digital imaging to see inside you while performing treatment or exploratory procedures. Many conditions that once required surgery can now be treated non-surgically by interventional radiologists, using needles and catheters instead of needing large incisions.
Using this technology keeps the impact on your body to a minimum which in turn will speed your recovery and mean less time in hospital.
Digital x-ray rooms
We perform a wide range of general radiographic exams in our digital x-ray rooms and make sure that you’re comfortable while your x-ray takes place.
Nuclear imaging helps us to see how your body is working and which cells are drawing the most energy. It also gives us information about blood flow to tissues and chemical reactions in the body. This helps us to locate tumour cells.
The process uses very low doses of radioactive substances, which we are able to trace by scanning you from the outside.
Perfusion is the passage of fluid through the lymphatic system or blood vessels to an organ or a tissue.
Using a small amount of a radioactive chemical enables us to see how well blood flows to the muscles of your heart, which, in turn, helps your doctors make quicker, more accurate decisions on your treatment.
In addition to these specialist areas, we also provide digital mammograms and x-rays, ultrasound and specialist imaging of the spine and bowel.
We have a purpose-built modern facility for eye procedures at Southlands Hospital in Shoreham as well as facilities at St Richard’s Hospital in Chichester.
Both sites benefit from the very latest technology and offer access to some of the best eye assessment and surgical facilities in the country.
Our private eye care services
We provide a full range of minor treatments, imaging and surgical procedures. Our treatment is most often delivered in special one-stop clinics. This means you can access all the services you need in one or two visits instead of needing the usual three or four appointments.
Minor treatments include:
- anti VEGF injections
- cyst removal
- enlarging of tear duct (three snip)
Imaging services include:
- anterior segment photography
- central corneal thickness measurements (CCT) For Glaucoma and corneal patients
- corneal specular (Measures Corneal cells)
- corneal topography (Measurement of corneal mapping)
- diabetic retinopathy photography
- ocular coherence topography (OCT) Macular and Disc
Surgical procedures include:
- basal cell carcinoma
- corneal collagen crosslinking
- corneal graft
- DCR – dacryocystorhinostomy
- deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK)
- descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) / descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty (DMEK)
- IVT triamcinolone
- macular hole repair
- Ozudex injections
- retinal detachment
- temporal artery biopsy
Our surgeons are dedicated to modern urological care and work at the forefront of new treatments in urology. Our urology services include:
- bladder cancer management
- complex stone disease with endoscopic laser fragmentation of renal stones and lithotripsy
- erectile dysfunction
- female and male incontinence
- laparoscopic surgery for renal and prostate cancer
- paediatric and adolescent urology
- pinpoint precision prostate biopsy under local anaesthetic
- urethral and bladder reconstruction
- vasectomy reversal
We offer cancer patients fast access to diagnostics and treatment. Care for these patients is managed by a local multi-disciplinary team (MDT) and the Sussex specialist MDT for complex cancers.
For all enquiries please contact the team on:
Chichester Suite, St Richard's Hospital
01243 788122 Ext. 35287