It is different from improvement which is typically about using improvement tools or methodologies to achieve incremental change. Research is the process that results in the generation of new knowledge. Both improvement and research can generate new ideas which might result in innovation, and innovation might originate from within or outside the Trust.
Some of the questions to consider with innovation opportunities include:
- How big a change for an organisation does this represent and can and where in the organisation might it be supported?
- If technology is involved at what development stage is it and can or will it satisfy all regulatory requirements, standards and legal requirements?
- Does it deliver value for money, or would it result in additional costs to the organisation?
- Does it meet a clear need and deliver real benefits (and what are these benefits)?
- Does the innovation align with organisational and local priorities?
- Are there any intellectual property considerations?
Innovation and improvement news
We continuously improve our hospitals with state of the art equipment, studies and innovations. Read our innovation news stories and how we strive to improve our hospitals.