What is an ankle sprain?
A sprained ankle occurs when the ligaments in the ankle are forcibly rolled, twisted or stretched beyond their normal range of movement. A ligament is a tough, flexible,
fibrous tissue that connects one bone to another to form a joint & provides stability to your ankle.
What is the treatment for an ankle sprain?
- Pain relief is an important part of your child’s recovery and ability to walk. Give them regular Paracetamol and Ibuprofen.
- Rest will allow the healing process to begin. For the first few days your child should reduce the amount of walking that they do and gently exercise the ankle using the advice below.
- Ice packs help to reduce swelling during the first few days, which in turn relieves pain. Wrap an ice pack or crushed-up ice in a towel / pillow case and place it on the swollen area for up to 15 minutes at a time.
- Elevation also reduces swelling and pain. Ensure your child keeps their injured leg elevated (heart level) as much as possible during the first few days.
- Physiotherapy will also help to reduce swelling, ease pain and can help to accelerate healing.
The importance of physiotherapy
The virtual physiotherapy program has been devised by the physiotherapy
team. These exercises will help reduce stiffness, strengthen damaged ligaments and help to keep the joint supple and mobile, restoring a full range of movement to the ankle.
What is my recovery time?
Most ankle sprains take around 6 to 8 weeks to heal.
During this time your child should not participate in any sports, PE, dance or any other high impact activities such as trampolining and skateboarding.
Activities such as walking and swimming should be encouraged when pain settles; these will help mobilise the joint and aid your child’s recovery. Follow the link to view your physio rehab video.
Our aim is to provide information that will help you understand your child’s injury and enable the appropriate after-care. There are lots of useful injury leaflets to download at the Royal Alexandra website.
24hr advice line NHS 111
Practice Plus (Brighton walk-in Centre) 0333 321 0946
Practice Plus GP 0300 130 3333
7 days a week 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
The information in this leaflet is for guidance purposes only and is in no way intended to replace professional clinical advice by a qualified practitioner.