On this page
At the beginning of the leaflet are forms for the patient to complete about ventilator information and ventilator setting prescription. Please print off the PDF version to obtain the forms.
If this is not an emergency contact your GP. For out of hour’s advice call 111.
Feeling unwell and need specific advice regarding your NIV therapy
Feeling severely unwell
For emergencies contact 999.
For spare consumables (mask, straps, filters, tubing) Or Problem with mask fitting Or Problem with Ventilator settings
Contact the Home NIV service (Monday to Friday 8:00 to 16:00 hours) on:
Telephone: 01273696955 Extension 64124
Email: [email protected]
Outside of these hours you will need to wait until the next working day to request.
If you are feeling unwell without the ventilator, please attend the Emergency Department.
NIV device due servicing. Moving to a new house. Contact the GP surgery.
Frequently asked questions
What do I do when I go on holiday?
Take your device as hand luggage. Contact our service and we will provide you with a travel letter. The medical team may need to fill in a MEDIF form from your airline. Please discuss this with the medical team and ask the airline for any documentation that needs to be filled in prior to departure and on your return.
Maintaining the equipment
• Mask: Needs to be cleaned daily after use with warm soapy water and left to air dry. Headgear can be washed monthly with warm soapy water and left to air dry.
• Tubing: To be cleaned weekly with warm soapy water and let to dry hanging over door frame, shower rail.
• Humidifier water chamber needs to be emptied daily and left to air dry. If a build-up of lime scale occurs, apply white vinegar or lemon juice in the humidifier chamber and let it soak. Then rinse thoroughly before use. Alternatively, it can be placed in the dishwasher’s top shelf only, on a wash below 60°C. DO NOT USE DESCALENTS such as Viakal.
• Filters to be checked monthly and will generally require changing every 3 months. Depending on environmental factors, it may require more regular changing. For instances if pets, smoking or exposure to dusts.
• Device to be damp dusted monthly to ensure in good order.
Questions and notes
At the end of the leaflet is a blank page for questions and notes. Please print off the PDF version to obtain this.
This leaflet is intended for patients receiving care in Brighton and Hove or Haywards Heath.
The information in this leaflet is for guidance purposes only and is in no way intended to replace professional clinical advice by a qualified practitioner.