- Hold the NEXThaler in the upright position and open the mouthpiece cover fully.
- Breathe out as far as is comfortable for you and away from the NEXThaler.
- Seal your lips around the mouthpiece. Do not cover the air vents.
- Breathe in as strongly and deeply as you can.
- Remove the NEXThaler from your mouth and hold your breath for up to 10 seconds. Breathe out slowly. Your inhaler contains a steroid ingredient and you should rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth after using it; this is to prevent infections such as oral thrush.
- Close the mouthpiece.
- For a second dose, wait for 30 seconds and repeat steps 1 to 6.
Remember 3 simple steps:
Looking after your NEXThaler
You may clean your inhaler using a dry cloth or tissue after use. Do not clean your inhaler with water or other liquids; keep it dry.
7 Steps to Success, Inhaler Technique (2014) (adapted).
“Getting the basics right, Inhaler Technique” Primary Care Respiratory Society (2016).
For further support and information, please contact:
Royal Sussex County Hospital COPD Nurse Specialist
Telephone 01273 523109
Respiratory Nurse Specialists 01903 205111 Ext. 85858
St Richard’s Hospital
Respiratory Nurse Specialists 01243 788122 Ext. 32395
You can also contact your community pharmacist or practice nurse for advice.
The information here is for guidance purposes only and is in no way intended to replace professional clinical advice by a qualified practitioner.