Steps to follow when instilling ear drops
- Wash hands.
- Warm the drops to body temperature.
- Lie down on your side.
- Pull top of infected ear out and up.
- Place the dropper at the edge of the ear canal.
- Instil the drops into the ear.
- Wait 2/3 minutes.
- Massage just in front of the ear.
- No cotton wool plug is needed.
Where can I get further information?
NHS Choices provides online information and guidance on all aspects of health and healthcare, to help you make choices about your health.
Who can I contact with any concerns or questions?
If you have any problems or are worried, please do not hesitate to contact us in the Ear, Nose and Throat Outpatient Department.
Royal Sussex County Hospital
ENT 01273 696955 Ext. 64813
This leaflet is intended for patients receiving care in Brighton & Hove or Haywards Heath.
The information in this leaflet is for guidance purposes only and is in no way intended to replace professional clinical advice by a qualified practitioner.