Who are the Macmillan Head, Neck and Thyroid Cancer Nurse Specialists?
We are the Macmillan Head, Neck and Thyroid Cancer Nurse Specialists.
We work in the Cancer Centre in The Royal Sussex County Hospital, in Brighton. We are here to support you, your partner and your family through your cancer journey.
Please keep this leaflet; it will give you an idea of the way in which we can help you. It will also tell you how to contact us which you may need to do now or in the future. We can meet with you, your family or carers in the Cancer Centre.
Do you need support or information?
People can experience a wide range of emotions when the possibility of having cancer is mentioned. It can be a frightening and unsettling time for patients, their partners and their families.
Whatever you are feeling at present, it may help to talk to someone. We are available to talk with you about your feelings, and to answer any questions you may have about your disease or the proposed treatment. If we can’t answer all your questions ourselves, we can put you in touch with someone who can.
You can ask us about your diagnosis and disease, as well as your treatment plan and what it will involve. We can explain the options and make sure you know about the different kinds of help available to you each step of the way. We would be happy to see you by yourself or with your partner, friend or relative. You’ll find our contact details below.
Do you need a link between different people in the multidisciplinary team?
As there will be a number of people involved in your treatment and care, you may find it helpful to use us to ‘link them up’. We can explain their different roles, and if you would like us to speak to them on your behalf we will be happy to do so.
We can also put you in touch with the different services in the hospital and the community that may be useful to you: dietitians, counsellors, community nurses and physical activity programs for example. You will find the details of some support organisations below.
We also have a Macmillan Support Worker in our team who can provide information and (non-medical) advice and support. This may include assistance with appointments’ and investigations and liaising with other health and social care professionals on your behalf.She can also make referrals to other services both in the hospital and in the community.
Do you need help coping with your symptoms?
At times the disease or treatment may cause symptoms which are difficult to cope with. Part of our role is to help you look positively at how to manage these symptoms. Most symptoms can be controlled by expert use of medication. We can also look at how other techniques like relaxation and massage may help.
How to contact us
You can contact us by telephone or email.
01273 696955 Ext. 67435
Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
If we do not answer please leave a message. We aim to return your call the same working day, however at times this may be the next day. Please note this is not an emergency service.
Useful telephone numbers
- Macmillan Head and Neck Specialist Radiographer 01273 696955 Extension 67436
- Macmillan Head and Neck Cancer Specialist Nurses and Support Worker 01273 696955 Extension 67435
- Macmillan Speech and Language Therapist 01273 696955 Extension 67211
- Macmillan Head and Neck Dieticians 01273 696955 Extension 67488
- Macmillan Psychological Support Team 01273 664694
- ENT enquiries 01273 696955 Extension 64801
- Maxillofacial enquiries 01273 696955 Extension 64756
- Cancer Centre reception 01273 696955 Extension 64324
- Radiotherapy reception 01273 664 901
- Chemotherapy Royal Sussex County Hospital 01273 696955 Extension 64799 or Eastbourne District General Hospital 01323 417400 Extension 63020
- Level 8A West Ward (H&N surgical Ward) 01273 696955 Extension 64357
- Macmillan Cancer Support Line 0808 808 0000
- NHS Free smoking helpline 0800 0224332
- Macmillan Horizon Centre 01273 468770
- The Mouth Cancer Foundation
- Quit Smoking NHS
- Macmillan Cancer Support
- Macmillan Horizon Centre
- Brighton H&N Support Group
- The Swallows, National H&N Support Group
- The Thyroid Cancer Charity
This leaflet is intended for patients receiving care in Brighton & Hove or Haywards Heath.
The information in this leaflet is for guidance purposes only and is in no way intended to replace professional clinical advice by a qualified practitioner.