On this page
Who we are and how to contact us
We are the Macmillan Upper Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary Cancer Nurse Specialists. We work at The Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton. We are here to support you, and those around you.
You can contact us by telephone or email.
We work Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm. We may be out of the office when you call so please leave your name, hospital number (or date of birth) and a message. We aim to return your call the same working day, however at times this may be the next working day.
Please note, if your symptoms are serious and you need urgent attention we advise you to contact your GP or, if the situation warrants it, please attend the Accident & Emergency Department at your local hospital.
How can we help?
We can offer guidance and support from diagnosis and throughout the course of your treatment and aftercare.
- We can answer your questions and provide expert advice on your cancer and treatments
- We can help you to manage your symptoms
- We can provide psychological support and advice to you and those most important to you
- We will generally see you in clinic. Unfortunately we cannot visit people at home
- We are part of a multi-disciplinary team and will be able to liaise with other professionals in the team on your behalf when necessary
- We can ensure you are in touch with the right people and access the right services e.g. dietician, financial advice, psychological therapies or community support
- There are also a number of support organisations that you may like to know about. Please also refer to the details below
The Upper GI and HPB Multi-Disciplinary Team
The multi-disciplinary team consists of specialists who all have expert training and knowledge in the diagnosis, care and treatment of upper GI and HPB cancer. The key members include consultant surgeons, consultant oncologists, consultant gastroenterologists, nurse specialists, a consultant radiologist, a consultant histopathologist and the patient pathway coordinator. The team meet every Wednesday morning to discuss individual patients’ treatment and care.
We have listed below some of the people who are in the team:
Upper GI Surgeons
Mr A Athanasiou
Mr K Singh
Upper GI Surgeons (based at The Royal Surrey County Hospital)
Mr Shaun Preston, Lead Consultant
Mr Nima Abbassi-Ghadi
Mr Pritam Singh
Mr Anantha Madhavan
HPB Surgeons (based at The Royal Surrey County Hospital)
Professor N Karanjia
Mr T Worthington
Dr F Chedgy
Dr S Green
Dr K Jamil
Dr E Selvadurai
Dr A Webb
Dr L Hancock
Macmillan Nurse Specialists
Ruth Lutz Tracy
Macmillan Support Worker
Useful telephone numbers and websites
Digestive Diseases Appointments 01273 696955 Ext. 64667
Level 9 Ward 01273 696955 Ext. 64498/9
Sussex Cancer Centre Reception 01273 664968 Ext. 4968/64324
Chemotherapy Reception 01273 696955 Ext. 64799
Radiotherapy Reception 01273 664901 Ext. 64901
Macmillan Dietician 01273 696955 Ext. 64208
Macmillan Horizon Centre 01273 468770
Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) 01273 664511or 664973
Digestive Diseases Secretaries [email protected]
Oncology Secretaries [email protected]
Guildford OG CNS team 01483 408319
Guildford OG CNS team [email protected]
Guilford HPB CNS team 01483 402779
Guilford HPB CNS team [email protected]
For all imaging enquiries please contact: 01273 523040
This leaflet is intended for patients receiving care in Brighton & Hove or Haywards Heath
The information in this leaflet is for guidance purposes only and is in no way intended to replace professional clinical advice by a qualified practitioner.