Download and print as a PDF (128kB pdf)
- Are you aware of your expected length of stay?
- Have you planned help at home?
- Have you arranged your transport home?
- Hospital transport is not readily available and you may have to pay
- On your discharge day you will be expected to wait in the discharge lounge to be picked up
Neurosurgery contact information
Royal Sussex County Hospital
Level 8 A West Ward 01273 523173
01444 441881 Ext. 65711 or 65712
Sussex orthopaedic treatment centre
Newick Ward 01444 448770 Ext. 68830
Patient access booking office
01444 441881 Ext. 65734
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any concerns.
Before your admission please inform us of any of the following
- You have been unwell with a cold or flu, or any other recent infection
- If you have been seen by any other doctor with a new illness, changes to any existing medical condition, or have been prescribed any new medication
- If your symptoms have improved or worsened
- If you decide that you do not want your operation
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol for 2 days before your operation
- Stop eating food (including chewing gum) at 12 midnight, unless otherwise advised
- You may drink water until 6am
- Bring all your medication with you, in the original packaging
- Due to bed constraints and unexpected events please be aware that your surgery may be cancelled on the day of your admission. We will inform you as soon as possible, but this may not be until later in the day
- Remember to carry out deep breathing exercises, as instructed at the pre-assessment clinic
- Please note that there is no lockable storage on the wards, so you will be responsible for your own belongings
- Please ensure that you carefully read all the written information provided
- Please note this is a no smoking trust
This leaflet is intended for patients receiving care in Brighton & Hove or Haywards Heath.
The information in this leaflet is for guidance purposes only and is in no way intended to replace professional clinical advice by a qualified practitioner.