Our speech and language therapists (SALT) help adults and children who have difficulties with communication, eating, drinking or swallowing.
Communication difficulties that we see may include:
- dysarthria (slurred speech)
- dysphasia (difficulties with understanding language or using the wrong words)
- dysphonia (hoarse, harsh or breathy voice quality)
- difficulties in areas such as memory, attention and people skills which can affect your communication with others.
- swallowing difficulties are referred to as ‘dysphagia’. Difficulties may affect any stage of swallowing including chewing, clearing food safely from the throat, a risk of aspiration (food or drinks going into the lungs) to food passing into the stomach.
These difficulties may affect speech or how a person is able to understand language.
How we help
Our therapists provide you with an individual assessment when you see us. We give treatment programmes, advice and/or therapy to support you to communicate more effectively or eat and drink safely.
Conditions we treat
We work with a variety of patient groups, including those with:
- progressive neurological disease (e.g. Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis)
- head injury
- brain tumour
- spinal injury and anterior cervical spinal surgery
- head and neck cancer
- voice difficulties
- autoimmune diseases (e.g. Guillian Barre Syndrome)
- learning disabilities
Within Neonatal and Paediatrics:
- neurological disorders
- respiratory or cardiac conditions
- genetic conditions
- surgical conditions such as NEC, TOF/OA, Gastroschisis etc.
- developmental delay
- cleft lip and/or palate
What happens at your appointment
Adults and children services
We offer different services across adults and children. Please view our services pages for more information.
Where we are
Royal Sussex County Hospital
Speech and language ENT service 01273 696955 extn 4804
Inpatient service 01273 696955 extn 4891
Head and neck service 01273 696955 extn 7211
Princess Royal Hospital
Inpatients/outpatient neurology service 01444 441881 extn 8057
Sussex rehabilitation inpatient service 01444 441881 extn 5770
Speech and language ENT service 01444 441881 extn 8057
Royal Alexandra Children's Hospital
St Richard's Hospital
Worthing and Southlands Hospital
Our support group yakity yak helps people who have had a laryngectomy (removal of the voicebox). We offer support to partners, spouses and carers.
When and where we meet
- meetings are held four times a year
- group sessions on breathing for voice
- held often at the Royal Sussex County Hospital but socials also in local cafes/pubs
What we do
- information on new products
- information and advice on benefits
- information swap (ideas, products, apps, etc)
- emotional support
- the chance to share the above with people who have had a similar operation
- information from speakers on local groups, events and support networks
Macmillan Speech and Language Therapy 01273 696955 ext 7211
Macmillan Cancer Nurse Specialist 01273 696955 ext 7435