We are not a walk in clinic. All referrals will be triaged and accepted by the gynaecology registrar or consultant on call.
What is the GAU?
We are a doctor-led specialised unit for women who present as an emergency acute gynaecology conditions, such as:
- red/swollen/painful lump on the vagina known as a Bartholin’s cyst
- vaginal bleeding
- sudden abdominal pain
- pelvic inflammatory disease
- ovarian cyst
- severe nausea and vomiting in pregnant women (6 to 14 weeks)
- post operative problem for women who have had gynaecological surgery within last 30 days
- vaginal bleeding or pain in early stages of pregnancy (between 6 to 14 weeks pregnant), presenting outside of Early Pregnancy Unit working hours 8am to 6pm weekdays
- fluid collection related to underlying gynaecological cancer known as Ascites
- Ovarian Hyperstimulation following fertility treatment
- post-natal problems for women who are 10 days post delivery and discharged by the midwife.
For full details on what to expect at your appointment, please read our information leaflet which details what will happen when you arrive, and what happens after your investigation.