The pain management team includes clinical nurse specialists, advanced clinical practitioners, pain consultants, consultant anaesthetists and trainee anaesthetists who specialises in pain management for patients admitted to our hospitals.
We support the clinical teams working within our hospitals by providing direct clinical advice and management, when required. Our expertise includes both routine and more difficult cases, including:
- optimisation of acute pain management
- enhanced recovery surgery
- complex surgery on high-risk patients
- patients that suffer from long-term pain
- patients with cancer-related pain
- patients that have substance dependence
- patients on surgical, medical, maternity or children’s wards
- critical care patients
- elderly and frail patients
- patients with liver and renal problems.=
We promote safe and effective practice by providing advice, clinical guidelines, and education to staff.
Our inpatient pain management service support the clinical teams working within our hospitals by providing direct clinical advice and management, when required. Our expertise includes both routine and more difficult cases.
We provide outpatient services for patients with long-term or persistent pain. Access to these services is usually via a referral by your GP or medical consultant. In some of our local geographical areas these services are provided by Sussex MSK Partnership or Sussex Community NHS Trust.
The children’s chronic pain service at St Richard’s hospital is for children experiencing chronic musculoskeletal pain problems.
- For more information on pain management visit the British Pain Society website.