Our Council of Governors acts as a link between University Hospitals Sussex members and the Trust Board. It promotes active membership, represents local views and stands as a ‘critical friend’ to the trust. It also appoints – and decides the remuneration of – the Trust’s Chair and the Non- Executive Directors, and approves the appointment of the Chief Executive.
Some of the public and staff positions are occupied by governors elected to the Western Sussex Hospitals council.Meet our governors
Our governors are typically involved in many areas beyond their statutory duties, such as:
- Holding constituency meetings to communicate with members
- Representing the views of members to the Trust Board
- Developing and reviewing the membership strategy to ensure representation and engagement levels are maintained and increased as appropriate
- Working with hospital volunteers
- Giving talks to interested stakeholders
Council of Governors Meetings
Trust members and the public are normally welcome to attend our regular Council of Governors meetings. These meetings are held in person and online via Microsoft Teams.
Meeting dates for 2022/23
Council of Governors Meetings in Public
Thursday, 16 February 2023, 2pm to 4pm
The meeting will be a hybrid meeting and members of the public are welcome to attend in person, the meeting will be held at Worthing Hospital in the Boardroom on the 2nd Floor of the Washington Suite.Join via MSTeams Download and view the agenda
Questions from the public will be answered at the end of each meeting. Please email your questions to our Company Secretary, Glen Palethorpe, no later than Monday 13 February 2023.
Agendas and associated papers are added to this page one week before each meeting.
Further meeting dates:
- To be advised
- Thursday 18 August 2022: 2:00 – 4:00
- Thursday 19 May 2022: 2:00 – 4:00pm
- Thursday 17 February 2022: 2:30 – 4:30pm
- Thursday 18 November: 1 – 3 pm
- Thursday, 24 November 2022, 2pm – 3pm
- Council of Governors papers – 24 November 2022
- Council of Governors papers – 18 August 2022
- Council of Governors papers – 19 May 2022
- Council of Governors papers – 17 February 2022
- Council of Governors papers – 18 November 2021
- Council of Governors papers – 19 August 2021
- Council of Governors papers – 20 May 2021
Interested in becoming a governor?
- Contact Glen Palethorpe, Company Secretary by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more or ask any questions.
- Book a place on one of our briefing sessions. E-mail email@example.com or call 01243 831888 to book.