This week (w/co 20 February) we are celebrating our second UHSussex Environment Week, marking the first anniversary of our Patient First, Planet First Green Plan.
During the week we will be looking back on how far we’ve come, our focus areas looking ahead, and the ways staff and the public can support our aim to reach Net Zero by 2040.
Hear more from Karen Geoghegan, the Executive lead for our Net Zero and Environmental Sustainability agenda.
Staff only – Environment Week Events and Competition
- Download our programme of events for staff (listed below) – and save the dates in your diary. There is lots to get involved in, from opportunities to meet the green travel team and learn more about their services, to security bike marking, and an online discussion about how we can nurture a “gloves off” culture with expert speakers. Plus, the first 40 colleagues who cycle to work can get their hands on free breakfast or lunch!
- Take part in our short quiz for UHSussex colleagues and you’ll be in with the chance of winning a Pashley Pronto bike. It only takes 5 minutes, and you can complete on your mobile. The competition closes Sunday 26 February at 11.30pm.
Competition Terms and Conditions
Entrants into the competition shall be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions.
- The competition is only open to current UHSussex employees
- No purchase is necessary in order to enter the competition.
- The closing date for entries to the quiz is Sunday 26 February at 11.30pm
- UHSussex accepts no responsibility for any costs associated with the prize
- The winner may be required to take part in promotional activity related to the prize
- UHSussex accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the competition or accepting the prize
- All bicycles will receive a complimentary health check conducted by a qualified bicycle mechanic prior to collection.
NB: The bicycles for the competition were kindly donated to the Trust by Easit, a not-for-profit social enterprise, wanting to create positive change in staff travel. They have worked with various NHS Trusts around the UK for the last 20 years, aiming to make the commute a little cheaper and a little easier. The donation of these bikes takes this one step further.
Staff only – competition
- Take part in our short quiz for UHSussex colleagues and you’ll be in with the chance of winning a bike. It only takes 5 minutes, and you can complete on your mobile. The competition closes Sunday 26 February at 11.30pm.
Staff only – Pledge prize drawer
Colleagues who share the small changes they will make to support our green goals, will be automatically entered into a prize drawer full of goodies from local businesses. Simply complete the four questions below, and email your pledge responses to: [email protected].
- To support the UHSussex Green Plan, I pledge to [share the action you will take]
- To make this change, I will [how will you achieve this?]
- I intend to keep this up for [insert time period]
- This matters to me, as [complete]
- Watch this video introduction to our Patient First, Planet First Green Plan
- Read our Patient First, Planet First Green Plan
- Get in touch with the Sustainability team – [email protected]
2023 Programme of Events (staff only)
We are relaunching our Green Travel Roadshows across sites during February and March to highlight the array of sustainable travel options available via the Trust.
Colleagues who visit the roadshows will have access to:
- Dr Bike maintenance sessions – 30 min free service, repair and maintenance
- Security bike marking – Helps to reduce the chances of theft
- Free breakfast or lunch – For the first 40 colleagues who cycle to work on the day
The roadshows will kick-off during Environment Week on:
- Tuesday 21 Feb: RSCH, Audrey Emerton Building (AEB), Main Reception Foyer, 8.30am2pm. Dr Bike will run from 1pm-4pm.
- Thursday 23 Feb: Worthing, East Wing Penguin Foyer on the ground floor, 8.30am-2pm.
- Dr Bike will run from 11am-2pm outside the main entrance of the hospital
- Tuesday 14 March: St Richard’s Hospital, details to follow
- Thursday 16 March: Princess Royal Hospital, details to follow
Dr Bike sessions must be pre-booked via: [email protected]
40 breakfast bags or meal deal vouchers are available on a first-come, first-served basis
for colleagues who cycle into work on the day – collect from the roadshow team.
Gloves Off virtual discussion with expert speakers
Hear more about our plans to nurture a “gloves off” culture, reducing the unnecessary
use of single-use gloves. Speakers include UHSussex Green Clinical leads, and guests from
University of West London and Great Ormond Street. You’ll also be able to ask questions.
- Thursday 23 Feb, MS Teams,1-2pm – Joining link to add to your diary. The session will be recorded and shared for those colleagues who can’t make it.