Please remember to bring your paper blood test form from the health care professional that has requested it. The staff in outpatients will not be available to print off another copy.
Please check in at reception and wait for your child’s name to be called.
Emla cream (Other brands available):
This is a numbing cream which can help prevent discomfort when children have bloods tests.
You can get this from your GP or can be purchased from a pharmacy for less than £5. Please apply the Emla cream prior to arrival (60 minutes before the appointment time). It needs applying to the inner creases of both elbow joints and either wrapped in cling film around the arm to secure the cream or apply a dressing with no absorbent padding. Please be aware that the cream can cause a mild skin reaction, please read the leaflet with the cream for more information and remove if this causing severe irritation to your child.
There is also a numbing spray available, please ask the phlebotomist when you attend. Please be aware this is very cold and mostly suitable for children over 7 years. Also the spray is not advised for children with sensory issues.
Please let us know if your child is particularly anxious as we can organise for the play team to be around to help distract them during the procedure.
Please check if any of these apply:
- Fasting blood test (please make sure that you only book a 9am or 9.15am slot). Your child must not eat or drink anything for 12 hours before their blood test. A small amount of water is allowed during this time to keep your child hydrated. Please bring a snack or breakfast for once the test is completed (it’s unfair on a child to be fasted any longer during the day).
- Genetic testing: please book an appointment Monday to Thursday between 09:15 and 12:45 due to the bloods having to be sent off. When attending the appointment please ensure that you have a paper copy of the genetics blood request form (without this we are unable to take your child’s blood).
- Extra time: If you feel that your child may need some extra time for their appointment a double slot can be booked and a play therapist support can be made available. Please contact us beforehand if this is required. If you have any questions regarding the appointment please contact us: Phlebotomy 01444 441881 ext 68199.
Useful information when bringing your child in for a blood test:
- Make sure child is well hydrated and in cold weather your child is warm as this makes blood taking easier
- You may be asked to help hold your child, especially if they are younger to help them stay still
- Please feel free to bring an additional familiar adult if this will help distract or support your child whilst having a blood test
- Feel free to bring a toy or something that can distract your child, please be aware phone signal is very poor in the phlebotomy room.
Book your child's blood test
01444 441881 Ext. 68199
Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Your healthcare provider may ask you to provide other types of sample for testing, such as urine or faeces (stool). Please follow any instructions you are given about how to provide the sample and where to return it. Please visit our pathology page for further details.
About your lab tests
If you want to find out more about laboratory tests we recommend LabTestsOnLineUK. This is a website aimed at patients and designed to help you understand why lab tests are done, what results mean, and how they are used.
Your results are sent to the service that requested the test (for example the hospital clinic or GP surgery). The time taken to do laboratory tests varies. Please follow your healthcare provider’s advice on when to expect your results.
Where we are
Children’s blood appointments are on Level 5 Outpatients in the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital.View the map and directions to The Alex