How we help
We have three consultant led clinics each week and one nurse and dietician led clinic each week. Our clinics take place at the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital (The Alex) in Brighton and also at the Princess Royal Hospital in Haywards Heath.
From diagnosis onwards we support our families on the ward and at home. We support them over the phone and with home visits to:
- review blood glucose levels and data
- manage their pip and dla applications
- give training for all aspects of diabetes management including insulin regimes and pump therapy as well as continuous glucose monitoring systems and flash glucose monitoring systems.
We also provide:
- training sessions for schools and nurseries so they can care for our children with diabetes
- psychology support
- dietetic support
- support for safeguarding cases
- social and education events for children who have recently been diagnosed and their families
- transition events for older teenagers to help them move across to the adult diabetes service in a gradual and supported way
- an out of hours service for emergency concerns, supported by the ward on Level 9 in The Alex.
Getting ready for your appointment
Before your clinic appointment with your consultant nurse and dietitian please download the data from your meter/pump/Dexcom or Freestyle Libre download meters to Diasend the night before your appointment.
What happens at your appointment
At your clinic a nurse will take your height and weight and test your HbA1c before you see your diabetes team in clinic.
You’ll attend four quarterly paediatric diabetes consultant led clinics per year and a nurse and dietitian led annual review clinic. We have a dedicated psychologist and dietitians at the clinics.
Where we are
The diabetes nursing team is located on level 4 of The Alex.View the map and directions to The Alex