Brighton and Hove
Information on how to get referred to a food bank and the available foodbanks near you in the area is available on the Brighton and Hove Food Partnership website. Specialised banks are also located in Brighton & Hove for the BAME community, refugees, asylum seekers and vegans. Residents in Newhaven, Peacehaven, Fishersgate & Shoreham can also access the Brighton and Hove foodbanks.
If you’re in the Haywards Heath area and can’t afford food, you can call 0808 2082138 for free anytime Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm. You’ll confidentially talk to a trained Citizens Advice agent and, if needed, they’ll issue you with a food bank voucher.
For more information on how this works and what to do, please see the Haywards Heath Food Bank website.
If you’re in the Chichester area, please contact one of the agencies on the website, who will discuss your situation and supply you with a foodbank voucher where appropriate. If you need help, please do call, or email for advice. Centres are on the end of the phone Monday to Friday between 9am to 5pm.
Chichester Food Bank website has more information on how to access your food vouchers in Chichester.
Adur and Worthing
If you’re in the Worthing area, please see the Worthing Food Bank website to access a list of local foodbanks, their contact details, and links to their websites. Worthing also have a vegan foodbank for those who need it – this is located on the website.
- The benefits calculator can help you see if you qualify for food bank vouchers.
- Citizens Advice (West Sussex)
- Citizens Advice (East Sussex)
For immediate advice and support about getting food, shopping and meal deliveries:
Feeding your family
Free kids’ meals / cooking resources
- Morrisons Cafe – Morrisons have FREE kids’ meals from 3pm on weekdays when an adult spends £4.50 in their restaurant.
- Sainsburys – Sainsbury’s have a range of meal plans to feed your family for £5 or under.
- Beefeater – Until 10.30am every day, if you buy yourself an adult Premier Inn Breakfast from a Beefeater, up to two under-16s eat for FREE.
- Brewers Fayre – Kids eat breakfast for FREE any day of the week until 10.30am if you purchase an adult breakfast at one of their restaurants.
- Too Good to Go – The Too Good to Go app helps to reduce food waste and save you money at the same time by buying ‘end of the day’ food from local cafés, bakeries and restaurants which have food leftover, and lets you buy it at a discounted rate. You can buy a ‘magic bag’ of food, which usually costs between £2 and £4, via the app and Too Good to Go says the food will be worth at least three times as much as if you’d bought it at full price. Once you’ve selected the store you want to rescue food from, you pay via the app. Then simply visit the location during the set collection time to pick up your bag (you’ll need to check this on the app, as the collection time varies from place to place). Simply download the app for free from Apple’s iOS app store or the Google Play Store. You’ll need to create a free account or log in via Facebook to browse participating restaurants near you.
- Cooking on a Bootstrap – Jack Monroe’s Cooking on a Bootstrap website is filled with ideas and recipes for making the most out of the cheapest ingredients and discounted items in the shops.
- The Batch Lady – Following the Batch Lady’s method will show you how to make fast, simple, homemade, portion-controlled meals, that can be prepared in advance then frozen for whenever you need them.
- Feed your family for about £20 a week – The Feed Your Family for About £20 a Week website shows you how to shop smart, cook clever and make more for less.
- Approved Food – Approved food are specialists in surplus and short dated stock, or food that is either near or just past it’s best before date which allows them to pass on huge savings. Customers typically save around £60 on their monthly shop compared to high street prices. They do not sell anything past it’s use by date. Online ordering is quick and easy.
- Batch Cookery lessons – Take a look at the Community Kitchen cookery classes coming up. These are on Low Energy Cooking, Basic Cookery Skills, Make your own Takeaway and more.