Good Clinical Practice (GCP) is the international ethical, scientific quality standard for designing, recording and reporting trials that involve the participation of human subjects. Compliance with GCP provides public assurance that the rights, safety and wellbeing of research participants are protected and that research data are credible.
Everyone involved in the conduct of clinical research must be competent to perform their tasks, qualified by education, training and experience. An understanding of GCP is prerequisite for anyone carrying out, or involved in, clinical research and clinical trials.
This is a requirement of the UK Policy Framework for Health and Social Care Research, the policy covering all research in the NHS in England, and in law (SI 2004/1031, Schedule 1, Part 2, 8) for those people working on clinical trials.
The Trust recommends GCP training as best practice for everyone involved in research, with updates undertaken every two years. GCP training is mandatory for all staff involved in Clinical Trials of Investigational Medicinal Products (CTIMPs). If you require any clarity regarding GCP training requirements please contact the R&I Department or refer to the GCP and mandatory training for research standard operating procedure.
There are two types of workshops, ‘introduction to GCP’ and ‘GCP refresher’, and both are delivered in-house by our experienced and trained GCP Facilitators. The workshops are open to all staff in the Kent, Surrey and Sussex Clinical Research Network.
Face to face training dates
Face to face GCP training dates – to follow in due course.
Online training is provided by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) via their CRN Learn platform. If you do not have a CRN Learn account you can register for one following the instructions below.
Setting up a CRN Learn account
You may either register with your work email or if you have one, you can use your NIHR Google account to register.
- Go to the CRN Learn home page
- Click “Create a new account”.
- Enter all of the required information.
- Tick the box labelled “I have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions” and press “Next”.
- A confirmation e-mail will be sent to the email address you have provided asking you to unlock your account. Please follow the instructions in the email and continue until you reach the end of the account creation process.
- You will be asked to add details of your job role, organisation and geographical area. You may need to log out and back in, to save this information.
- Your account is created ONLY WHEN you have added this information and your full name appears at the top right hand corner of the screen.
- Access the required learning by going to the Home page – select the link for the type of GCP training you require.
- Please use your work email address (if you have one). This enables NIHR CRN learn to provide faster access to courses for individuals in automatically eligible organisations.
- Please make sure that you can access your work email account during the entire account creation process. They will send information to this.
- Once your account is created, you will be able to access CRN Learn via any internet enabled computer or device.