Liver outpatient clinics
We run specialist outpatient clinics Monday, Tuesday and Thursday at Worthing, St Richards and Southlands Hospital and manage a range of liver conditions.
We also run specialist outpatient clinics all week at Royal Sussex County Hospital and Princess Royal Hospital, Haywards Heath.
Liver transplantation assessments are referred to Kings College Hospital in London.
We refer patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma (Primary liver cancer) to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford and Kings College Hospital in London for further treatment.
Our liver services treat a range of liver conditions including:
- alcohol related liver disease
- non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- viral Hepatitis (Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C)
- advanced chronic liver disease (cirrhosis)
- abnormal liver function test evaluation
- autoimmune liver diseases, including Autoimmune Hepatitis, Primary biliary cholangitis & Primary Sclerosing cholangitis
- 24 hour on call service for emergency endoscopy (Bleeding from varices/dilated blood vessels in the gullet and stomach)
- fibroscan (Scan to assess for fibrosis/scarring of the liver)
- ambulatory ascitic drain insertion
- long term ascitic drain insertion
- endoscopy- screening and treatment of oesophageal and gastric varices
- endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio Pancreatography (ERCP)
- ultrasound guided (percutaneous, through the skin) liver biopsy
- transjugular (through a vessel in the neck) liver biopsy
- viral hepatitis specialist nurse clinics, with links to Brighton hub for Hepatitis C treatment
- monthly hepatology MDT (working closely with our specialist histopathologist and radiologist)
- monthly advanced liver disease MDT (working closely with the community palliative care team)
Meet the team
- Dr Sam Thomson (Worthing Hospital) Sec Ext 84056
- Dr Stephen Kriese (Worthing Hospital) Sec Ext 84670
- Dr Carl Moran (St Richards Hospital) Sec Ext 33169
- Dr Anna Roskilly (Worthing and St Richards Hospital) Secretary Ext 84527
- Dr Bren Natarajan (Worthing Hospital) Ext 4527
Clinical nursing team
- Samantha Readhead, Lead Hepatology Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
- Mucha Marufu, Hepatology Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Vikki Charles, Hepatology Clinical Research Nurse
- Barbara Hare, Hepatitis C Elimination Nurse
- Fiona Rees, Lead Pharmacist
- Megan Hockly, Pharmacist
- Angela Packham, Pharmacist
We also have a fantastic administrative team consisting of a patient coordinator, administrator assistant, senior hepatology information analyst and data officer that all work together to support our Hepatology team.
Where we are
Our nursing team also delivers viral hepatitis services in substance misuse services, homeless hostels and local prisons across Sussex.
Hepatology is part of the department of digestive diseases at Royal Sussex County Hospital and the division of medicine in Worthing and Chichester.
UHSussex leads the Sussex Hepatology Operational Delivery Network (ODN) for Hepatitis C treatment. Our Network is comprised of two NHS Trusts: University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (UHSussex) acting as the hub covering Brighton & Hove, Worthing and Chichester locations, and East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust (ESHT) as an affiliated spoke service.
Erringham ward (Gastroenterology & Hepatology) firstname.lastname@example.org
Worthing Hospital Switchboard 01903 205111 Ext. 84056 or 84527
St Richard’s Hospital Switchboard 01243 788122 Ext. 33169
For further information and patient centred support on all aspects of liver disease the Hepatology team at University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation trust (Worthing and St Richard’s Hospitals) would invite you to access the resources available from the ‘British Liver Trust‘.
They are the UK’s leading liver health charity working to improve liver health for all and supporting those affected by liver disease or cancer.