We are part of the Maternal Medicine Network. The Maternal Medicine Network is a national, cross organisational model of care.
The network works to improving health outcomes for women and people with complex medical conditions.
Care is delivered at regional centres like the Sussex Maternal Medicine Centre.
We share skills, knowledge and expertise across the network. We work with you, your local obstetric team and specialists to achieve the best birth outcomes and improve care planning for this pregnancy and beyond.
Our maternal medicine team provides care for women and with pre-existing medical disorders or pregnancy-related medical conditions. We work in a multidisciplinary team of doctors and midwives to provide you and your baby with the best standard of care.
If your specialist, GP, obstetrician, or midwife feels that you have, or are at risk of getting, a medical problem during pregnancy, you will be referred to this service.
What to expect
At your first appointment you will usually be asked about your medical history, and we will consider how your medical problem may affect your pregnancy, or how pregnancy could affect your condition.
Sometimes we might start or stop medications and make onward referrals for scans or appointments.
We’ll work with you to keep your medical condition stable during pregnancy, or bring it under control if it flares, to make sure it doesn’t affect your baby’s growth and health.
Your care, including the frequency of appointments, will be individually tailored to your needs.
The Sussex Maternal Medicine Centre is based in Brighton however your care will be delivered locally wherever possible.
Meet the maternal medicine team
- Sophia Stone, Consultant in Obstetrics and Maternal Medicine (Sussex Maternal Medicine Lead Obstetrician)
- Jo Sinclair, Consultant in Obstetrics and Maternal Medicine (Brighton and Haywards Heath)
- Carol Postlethwaite, Consultant in Acute and Obstetric medicine
- Dexter Pascall, Consultant in Obstetrics and Maternal Medicine (Eastbourne and Hastings)
- Ruth Mason, Consultant in Obstetrics and Maternal Medicine (Worthing)
- Rahila Khan, Consultant in Obstetrics and Maternal Medicine (Worthing)
- Heather Woods, Specialist Lead Midwife
- Kayleigh Cooper, Administrative Support
The Sussex Maternal Medicine Centre is based at Sussex House, Abbey Road, Brighton, BN2 1ES at the Royal Sussex County Hospital.
Appointment changes 01273 696955 Ext. 64393
Questions [email protected]